- Consider keeping the room minimal and accessorising with colourful pieces. It’s easy to change some cushions and the cot will go eventually, but updating the walls and flooring are a bigger task.
- Think about the room itself. Is it on the quiet side of the house? Does it get a lot of sunlight? Is it draughty?
- Check out Pinterest to put together a board of inspiration as well as things on your wish list.
- Make a basic collage (online or with craft supplies) with the items and colors you like. You can then move things in and out to see what works.
- Think about putting in a dimmer switch. Bright lights don’t make sleepy children.
- Check if you need to oil the door hinges if they are stiff and squeaky.
- Consider a drop-side cot or a cot with a plenty of levels.
- Assemble the cot inside the room, it might be too big to fit through the door.
- Think about investing a comfy armchair or rocking chair for night feeds or to soothe your child.
- Consider buying a changing table or get a short chest of drawers with a changing top.
- Buy a changing mat.
- Buy a diaper bin.
- Ensure any nursery furniture that could be pulled over is securely attached to the wall.
- Look into using wall decals. They peel off easily but make the room look fun instantly.
- Consider buying blackout blinds.
- Buy a child guard for the door to the nursery or stairs nearby.
- Buy different types of blankets for all weather conditions.
- Buy a lamp or nightlight for late-night diaper changes.
- Consider buying a child monitor — maybe with a camera — and install it safely with wires out of reach of little hands.
- Buy a room thermometer if your monitor doesn’t have one. Buy a fan if your child’s room gets hot.
- Buy a humidifier if the air is dry.
- Paint the room three months before junior is due to make sure the room is fume-free. Water based or Zero VOC paints are ideal.
- Another fun job when you’re done getting the nursey ready is thinking of children’s names! See our checklist for ideas.
Here’s where you’ll find everything you need to make the best of those first 1,000 days of parenthood… TOGETHER.
Content for you
Enjoy personalised content, parenting tips, latest product updates and promotions.
Tips & Advices
Need nutritional advice? Speak to our nutrition experts.
Request a sample and try our products today!
Try our tailored practical tools to guide you through the parenting journey.
Not quite what you're looking for?
Try out our new smart search engine